Headache & Migraine
What might normally be a productive morning or a pleasant afternoon can come to an abrupt halt. Constant pain or pressure in the head that extends to the neck or face: you have a headache. There are several different types of headaches with various levels of pain ranging from mild to severe:
- Tension Headaches – The most common form is a tension or muscle headache. This manifestation is triggered by muscle strain, as well as stress and anxiety.
- Cluster Headaches – These are extremely painful and take place in one side of the head. The term “cluster” refers to the way these headaches appear, which is in cycles with intermittent periods free from a headache.
- Sinus Headaches – This symptom accompanies a sinus infection and includes other symptoms such as fever, cough, congestion, and facial pressure.
- Chiari Headaches – A birth defect called a Chiari malformation results in the skull to push against a part of the brain. The pain is felt in the back of the head.
- Thunderclap Headaches – The onset of a thunderclap headache is rapid and severe. This could be a sign of a serious medical condition including aneurysm or stroke.
Treatment for a Tension Headache
Not all headaches require treatment and will eventually go away on their own; however, certain home remedies, alternative approaches, and medications can assist with alleviating the pain and presence of a headache. Consider the following:
- Managing your Stress Levels
- Taking a hot or Cold Shower
- Over the Counter Pain Relievers
- Prescription Medication
Talk to your doctor if you experience frequent headaches or when a headache occurs as the result of a head injury.
What is a Migraine?
A migraine is an intense form of a headache. Direct causes of migraine attacks are still being explored; however, environmental factors and genetics are thought to contribute. Additionally, women are 3x more likely than men to experience migraines.
Migraines can last for hours or even days and the pain can be so severe that it is debilitating. If you are experiencing frequent painful and pulsing headaches, they might be migraines. Seek medical help from a professional who will work to understand your symptoms. After discussing your family history and conducting a physical and neurological exam, pain medication and other treatment options can be explored.
Schedule Your Appointment
Let us help with your headache or migraine problems. Turn to Desert Care Network to develop a treatment plan to bring you more enjoyable days and nights.